About Me

My photo
...over-educated and under-experienced, or so they say...

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Owl Friend Is No More

Owl Friend... Poor Owl Friend... If you happen to have a drink in  your hand, I don't care if it's water, I don't care if it's coffee, pour some out for Owl Friend because she has passed on, she is dead, she is... no more...

Charity The Pup... she has done a terrible thing and Hope and I are mourning the loss of Owl Friend...

This is a sad sad day in our house hold.

I really don't know what to say about this.  It may seem silly to all of you, but to Hope and I, the loss of our favorite pup's favorite toy is a sad day.  I wrote about this not too long ago, I wrote about Charity The Pup and her love for Owl Friend and how much we loved that she loved Owl Friend, but when I came home from my walk this morning I found Owl Friend dead... dead on the floor... all the stuffing pulled out of her and the squeaker... the poor little squeaker like my heart and yours was completely ripped out from her and completely chewed through.

When did The Pup do this?  When did this happen?  It was just yesterday, quite literally, that The Pup was still running around the house with Owl Friend in her mouth happily squeaking the squeaker.  The Pup has carried this little toy, our little Owl Friend, for months... MONTHS!  But suddenly, out of nowhere, Owl Friend lost her special place in Charity The Pup's heart and she ended up dead on the living room floor just like every other toy.  Poor Owl Friend...

Take a look at the crime scene.  This is what I came home to, after the walk, and this is what I saw as I prepared to give The Pup her morning treat... Guts... Fluffy guts... all over the floor...  And I saw the fluffy guts and I said, "Charity...  What have you done?  Owl Friend... Our beloved Owl Friend... She is gutted on the floor...  The Pup...  What have you done, The Pup?"  And The Pup... all she could do was roll over... All she could do was admit...

We had to, of course, forgive her because we love her unconditionally.  We cannot hold it against her, this little Fox Terrier, this little creature who was basically bred to kill rats and other such rodents, and whose favorite toy just happened to be the size of a rat.  We had to concede that, as cute as it was that our sweet little pup favored this toy for quite some time, she was ultimately going to give in to her instinct and destroy and gut the thing.  We had to say to ourselves that if Bubonic Plague were to ever rear its ugly head again we would consider ourselves lucky to have a pup willing to destroy the enemy... but still... no toy could replace Owl Friend... none...  Or was there, perhaps, a chance to recreate the happy toy moment?  Was there?  Even in the midst of darkness, there is always hope so...

I went to the Petco down the way.  I went looking for another Owl Friend but, alas..., there is only ONE Owl Friend.  I did, however, find a Piggy Friend that was a similar shape and exact size as Owl Friend and I had a moment of hope, I had a moment where I thought this toy might bring The Pup the same amount of joy that Owl Friend had brought and I thought that maybe Piggy Friend would last for months and months, just like Owl Friend.  And I brought Piggy Friend home and I gave Piggy Friend to Charity The Pup, and she was overjoyed and she played and played and ran all through the house with Piggy Friend in her mouth and she was squeaking the squeaker, just like she did Owl Friend, and we played fetch and we played chase and all was right with the world and then...Just after dinner this evening I walked down the hall and found Piggy Friend completely gutted... his squeaker completely chewed through...

Charity The Pup... she has acquired a taste for fluff and now... playtime will never be the same...

Oh... sad day... sad sad day... I will be spending way more money on toys now thanks to the fluff lust that my pup has now developed.  Charity The Pup... so cute... so violent... at least when it comes to squeakers and fluff...

No comments:

Post a Comment