About Me

My photo
...over-educated and under-experienced, or so they say...

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fanny Packs Aren't Very Zen



So I take these morning walks with my dog.  It’s one of my favorite things.  I walk the canal, the sun is coming up, the water looks pretty, ducks everywhere...  It’s this moment where I let my mind go off into the stratosphere and wander into any direction it decides to go.  It’s like my walking meditation moment, the way I start my day and simply breathe before I don my Land Agent persona, and it’s a sacred moment in which no one, aside from a random good morning from a passer-by, should bother me.  Seriously… don’t bother me, I’m thinking… it’s that moment.  So when I’m suddenly stopped by some voice that hits me like a  tree limb to the eye, I’m not overly enthusiastic about it, particularly when it’s a strange man who has decided to make a random comment about the length of my walk.  And what this man doesn’t know is that he has completely disrupted a thought process that I was having and has now irked me because his very appearance is enough for me to lose anything abstract inside my mind and I can’t even hear a word he’s actually saying to me because I’m so irritated by his unwelcome interruption that all I can do is glare at him from behind my sun glasses, as if to say, “Please don’t talk to me strange old man with a fanny pack,” and simply turn and walk away.  And the entire rest of the walk home all I could think about was my stupid reaction to that stupid old man and how I lost whatever concept I had going because I was brought down to Earth by a man sporting a fanny pack and… I didn’t even know people still used those things.  I went from intellectual stratosphere to fanny pack man.  

I have also decided that tomorrow morning I will wear the following sign as I walk:

 Just because I’m walking in the same vicinity as you between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. does not mean I wish to speak with you.  Please just say good morning if you must and walk away.  

Thank You,

Random Curly Haired Lady with the little dog.




No comments:

Post a Comment